London Evening Standard : Shock for U2 as fire wrecks hotelmercredi 16 août 1995
Source : London Evening Standard
From The London Evening Standard :
Shock for U2 as fire wrecks hotel By Veronica Blake
A Dublin hotel owned by rock stars U2 was seriously damaged by fire today.
More than 100 people were evacuated from the Clarence Hotel’s nightclub in the early hours as firemen fought the blaze in the fashionable Temple Bar area. U2 bought the hotel two years ago. Lead singer Bono said he was devastated by the three-hour blaze, which destroyed the penthouse suite and damaged the rest of the art deco building.
A spokesman for Dublin fire brigade said it started in the roof area. There were no overnight guests in the hotel because it was being renovated, and no injuries were reported.
Since it was built in the 1890s guests have ranged from James Joyce, George Bernard Shaw and Samuel Beckett to Kevin Costner, Naomi Campbell and Julia Roberts.
Bono said they would continue with the refurbishment. "We bought the hotel out of a special affection, I wouldcall it self-indulgence," he said. "If pure commerce were our objective then I am sure there would be more sensiblethings for us to be doing."
He said when U2 started, the Clarence was the only hotel that would serve them.